[SAC] [OSGeo] #296: create OSGeo repository for .deb's for LiveDVD & documentation

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Oct 5 04:04:30 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 05:01:40PM +1100, Roald de Wit wrote:
> Hi Tim and SAC,
>
> Please excuse me for interrupting here. IMO there is a very good
> platform already available for creating and maintaining .deb's:
> Launchpad.net [1]. Many people use it for their 'personal' packaging [2]
> too.

The Launchpad.net terms of use do not allow for the uploading of
non-free content, according to https://help.launchpad.net/PPATermsofUse
. Currently, it is the plan to use the OSGeo repository to host
documentation which is non-commercial, as well as other software that
may not be redistributable in some circumstances. Becacuse of the
limited nature of the use of this repository, we can take a less strict
approach than Canonical needs to for solving this problem.

It is our intention to work directly with the DebianGIS developers to
move as many packages as would be appropriate into Debian itself;
however, there are some things that are going to be redistributed by us
which are not approrpriate for Launchpad deployment.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta