[SAC] xblade14-2: Service Temporarily Unavailable (Apache) - gdal, grass, qgis, rso, mapbuilder

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Sep 15 18:08:31 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:08:03PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Jason Birch <Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca> wrote:
> > It's not really the page's fault,
>
> Our web page(s) used to work for years...
>
> > your network stack is configured contrary to the recommendations of RFC2068 section 8.1.4,
> > or there is a proxy between you and the osgeo server with more than one user connected to the same site:
>
> I am directly connected via 20MBit/s (ok, maybe 15Mbit/s effectively) ADSL.
> I observe that the server got significant slower recently, I used to reach
> almost local network saturation while I get a fraction of this these days.
>
> > Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the number of
> >   simultaneous connections that they maintain to a given server. A
> >   single-user client SHOULD maintain AT MOST 2 connections with any
> >   server or proxy. A proxy SHOULD use up to 2*N connections to another
> >   server or proxy, where N is the number of simultaneously active
> >   users.
> >
> > Perhaps 3 connections is a bit low for a general purpose website though.
> > Is it possible to configure the grass site differently than the downloads?
>
> This would be great. Bandwidth is there AFAIK.

It's not (and never was) about Bandwidth. It's about tying up apache
children, which each use memory, typically with download accelerators,
which then makes the entire site sluggish since other users can't get
access to the site because there's no remaining apache children.

If mod_cband can be configured this way, I don't have a problem with it,
but I wanted to clarify that bandwidth has never been the problem.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta