[SAC] Motion: Provide SVN and Trac services to the UbuntuGIS project

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Wed May 20 17:44:56 EDT 2009

Hi Daniel,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 03:43:31PM -0400, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Martin Spott wrote:

>> Maybe the way I'm thinking how this should be done is too much
>> traditionally - or I simply didn't get the clue ....:
>>

> Is the problem with the fact that OSGeo shouldn't be involved in this,
> or that you think there is a better way to achieve the goal of providing
> up to date packages for Linux distros?

Well, as I understand, they're not even providing packages, like
DebianGis does, they're just about maintaining the 'debian' package
config directory.

Look, nowadays a lot of OpenSource projects ship the most up-to-date
'debian' package configuration together with their source code
(analogously to shipping project files for the MacOS- or Windows-
development environments). My personal idea of "doing things right"
would be to negotiate with the "real/true" debian folks as well as with
the respective OSGeo projects and have this very 'debian' package
config directory set up in a way that works for both and to ship it
with the source.

To my opinion the current procedure has a slight taste of "doing things
different for no obvious reason, just as an end in itself" - taking the
pride ("we're the only ones to provide up-to-date packages") but still
delivering just a half-hearted solution. I find this a bit misleading -
and therefore I personally would prefer not to do it this way.