[SAC] Motion: Provide SVN and Trac services to the UbuntuGIS project

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu May 21 17:05:17 EDT 2009

Martin,

I would encourage you to continue sharing your thoughts.  Although I don't agree with your feelings about the motivation behind this request, I do agree with your assessment of where the package configs should be stored.

If there are people willing to tackle it, I would much rather work with the UbuntuGIS folks to ensure that package lists for FDO and MapGuide were maintained in their respective SVN repositories (alongside the Windows installer source) than have yet another location for members of our communities to track down project-related information.  This tighter integration would also mean that it would be easier for us to tie a package->install->test step into our CI builds to ensure that the package stays in sync with the source.

I guess an analogy could be drawn between UbuntuGIS and OSGeo4W (making much of the OSGeo stack available in one location) but I think that this falls apart because of the differences in installer packaging.  OSGeo4W is a monolithic installer, great for getting to know OSGeo software without having to download from multiple locations.  UbuntuGIS (correct me if I'm wrong) would be more granular, where users pick and choose the packages they want rather than saying something like "apt-get UbuntuGIS".  There is no technical reason to have a repository unless there are projects that wouldn't welcome the UbuntuGIS packages in their source control.

I don't think this has anything to do ego or credit though, just a technical approach that may or may not be the best possible choice.

Jason