[SAC] errors with Trac

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Oct 2 03:20:04 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 05:33:10PM -0400, Paul Spencer wrote:
> We replaced our router with a fancy new dual-wan VPN router and it was
> configured to load balance outgoing traffic between a DSL and a cable
> connection (each having a different external IP address, one static and
> one dynamic).  I thought this happened some time before we started
> experiencing this problem and had forgotten about it.
>
> The solution appears to be to direct all outgoing traffic to the osgeo
> servers trac, www and svn to use only one of the connections.  It is
> still unclear what is different between OSGeo's setup and the setup on
> openlayers.org and our own trac/svn but I suspect that somehow the
> authentication is being done with some affinity to the user's IP address,
> which in our case was changing essentially randomly between subsequent
> requests.  I have not confirmed this

I'm surprised that your own trac and the OL trac weren't equally affected; in
my experience, I've always had trac get cranky when I switch connections, but
since I only do it a coule times a day, that's obviously not particularly
scientific.

Trac version may also play a role; if your trac is newer, the behavior
may have changed.

> I guess one question that could be asked is if any configuration change
> related to authentication happened recently that would be related to
> linking IP address with authenticated sessions.

I'm not aware of any changes to trac auth in the past 2-3 months. (Beyond
that, I also can't think of anything that would fit your description,
but there were some changes possibly when we did the postgres changeover
that could have affected things.)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt