[SAC] Server Planning - Backups

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Fri Feb 26 18:40:05 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:23:27PM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:

> 1. We could mount the BackupVM in each of the virtual machines so that
> when a cron script is run that dumps databases or hot copies sites it
> writes to the backup server.

Do we have access to a regular "backup server", like in 'professional'
IT, as a distinct machine equipped with some sort of mass storage
device ?

> 3. We could look into setting up some type of corporate style backup
> system controlled by the BackupVM(server-client),like zmanda, bacula,
> backuppc etc.

Oh, yes, please. I'm using Bacula at different places with different
sorts of storage devices - tape, disk array or even FTP share mounted
via 'fuse' - and would not hesitate to promote it for the OSGeo
infrastructure.

Cheers,