[SAC] Server Planning - Backups

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Feb 26 20:13:58 EST 2010

On 02/26/2010 03:40 PM, Martin Spott wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:23:27PM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
>
>> 1. We could mount the BackupVM in each of the virtual machines so that
>> when a cron script is run that dumps databases or hot copies sites it
>> writes to the backup server.
>
> Do we have access to a regular "backup server", like in 'professional'
> IT, as a distinct machine equipped with some sort of mass storage
> device ?

I don't believe so, but can check with OSL and what they have to offer.
This was part of the decision to go with a RAID 6 on the machine that
will have the backupVM (2 disks can die without data loss) and the
proposal to rsync/backup this virtual machine to a Telescience blade at
least weekly. Do we really need tape backup if we have good redundancy?

>> 3. We could look into setting up some type of corporate style backup
>> system controlled by the BackupVM(server-client),like zmanda, bacula,
>> backuppc etc.
>
> Oh, yes, please. I'm using Bacula at different places with different
> sorts of storage devices - tape, disk array or even FTP share mounted
> via 'fuse' - and would not hesitate to promote it for the OSGeo
> infrastructure.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

That's good to see someone already has some experience with one of these
tools. Do you have any particular hints, tips, gotchas etc - I notice
that bacula uses a database backend to track what it's done, do you have
a recommendation for which db to use?