[SAC] Joined to ask some questions . . .

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Jul 22 11:25:38 EDT 2010

We're Linux through and through, sorry on the windows thing, I feel for you.

Debian is our (currently) preferred poison.

In between the lines, I'm wondering about providing dedicated device(s) for OSGEO use, could be used, could be new, could be mixed.  Does it make some sense to think about it possibly as redundant node(s), that could possibly take over if needed.

I was wondering about Blades vs separate CPU's as well.  You prefer Blades, or anything goes, etc.   I would need to figure out how to balance one time setup vs long term support. Preferably, we would setup and forget.  Don't have the manpower resources currently to go much beyond this offer right now.   Can't really address the admin/VM stuff at all, nor do we want to at this time, but the co-locating is a real possibilty (offsite datacenter and independent vendor, NOT City).

What would be desirable based on the descriptions here?

Maybe this is not the right time to think about this.

bobb

Bob Basques wrote:

> All,
>

> So, here I am  . . .
>

> I've got some questions about the OSGEO hardware infrastructure.
>
> Mostly right now, what is it's current state of operation?

Bob,

There is some information on the current systems and services
available at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC_Service_Status

It does not fully reflect damage from the recent blade outage.

In particular at this time I believe xblades 10, 11, 13 and 14
are compromised.  John is trying to re-install 13 which we use
as the download server normally.  Most services on 14 should
likely be migrated to the Projects VM or elsewhere.

It is my intention that xblade11 would be re-setup as a buildbot
server (build and smoke test).  I'm not sure to what extent we
will want to save the buildbot configurations from xblade11 and
xblade14.  Mateusz has normally been the lead on buildbot stuff
but I get the impression he has limited time available.

There will be some admin needs for the download server once it
is working again. In particular setting up anonymous ftp
(for ftp.remotesensing.org), rsync service (for backup/mirroring),
webdav services (so the java maven updates work), and perhaps
putting the special throttling settings in place.  There has also
been a long standing suggestion this server should be doing nightly
antivirus scans that would be nice to pursue.

The above steps are the ones I have hesitated to put in place
on the current download "backup server".

Other outstanding tasks as part of the Peer1 to OSU OSL migration that
I don't see having been addressed yet are migration of LDAP, and
email service + mailman.

Some discussion of this migration are available at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Transition_Plan_2010

> Looking to see where I might be able to offer up some help, with
> infrastructure stuff, newer hardware, network connection, etc.  I'm not
> Admin, but  . . . could possibly have some leads on things if I had a
> good idea about the current (future) shortcomings.
>
> Is this all out of scope for the current difficulties?  Would asking
> later on be better?

One item that has come up as desirable but surprisingly hard to address
is a decent windows server that can be remotely administered and used
for windows build tests, shared build environment, etc.   If you had a
dependable reasonable well resourced machine with good network
connectivity you were willing to provide in this role (and perhaps
provide some admin support for), that would be helpful.