[SAC] Joined to ask some questions . . .

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 22 12:25:47 EDT 2010

Bob Basques wrote:

> We're Linux through and through, sorry on the windows thing, I feel for
> you.
>

> Debian is our (currently) preferred poison.

Bob,

No need to appologise from where I'm standing!

> In between the lines, I'm wondering about providing dedicated device(s)
> for OSGEO use, could be used, could be new, could be mixed.  Does it
> make some sense to think about it possibly as redundant node(s), that
> could possibly take over if needed.

This might have some value, but we aren't really in a pressing need
for *more* servers at this time.

> I was wondering about Blades vs separate CPU's as well.  You prefer
> Blades, or anything goes, etc.

We are really moving to a "big multi-cpu server" with lots of
VMs on it architecture at OSU OSL.  We have two physical
servers there now, with about 8 or so VMs running on them.

> I would need to figure out how to
> balance one time setup vs long term support. Preferably, we would setup
> and forget.  Don't have the manpower resources currently to go much
> beyond this offer right now.   Can't really address the admin/VM stuff
> at all, nor do we want to at this time, but the co-locating is a real
> possibilty (offsite datacenter and independent vendor, NOT City).

Understood.  But I'll say it is the manpower that is our main
limiting factor now.