[SAC] rsync backups for download.osgeo.org

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Nov 27 03:56:03 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> On 11/26/2010 11:35 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Martin pointed out that the download.osgeo.org rsync backups have not been
>>> running (for some time!).  I have fixed download.osgeo.org so that rsyncd
>>> is started from inetd and reenabled rsyncing from download.osgeo.org to
>>> backup.osgeo.org again.
>>
>> Thanks for your efforts.
>>
>>> I'll try to check in that things are working smoothly in a few days.
>>>
>>> Martin and I also briefly discussed what else is, or is not, getting
>>> backed up on the new VMs and I think there are likely some holes.  I think
>>> he may follow up on some of those points but folks responsible for services
>>> on the new VM might want to confirm that everything they need is getting
>>> backed up in a way that we could recover fairly quickly if necessary.
>>
>> The backup of the "project" VM is quite important. Is there anything
>> known about that (and/or an updated Wiki page describing the state
>> of the art)?
>>
>> thanks
>> Markus
>
> Well there are 2 distinct steps.
> 1. a project needs to dump it's files/databases/configurations somewhere
> easy to find and in an efficient format.

yes (I do this for GRASS occasionally).

> 2. we need to configure a way to pull those to the Backup machine, most
> likely using Bacula, but possibly just relying on rysnc

So you mean that the project VM is not backup'ed at all?
oh.... since 9 servers are running on it... As of today
it contains:

docs.geotools.org.conf
geos.osgeo.org.conf
geotools.org.conf
mapserver.org.conf
projects.mapbender.osgeo.conf
sr.org.conf
tilecache.org.conf
www.gdal.org.conf
www.remotesensing.org.conf

oh.... since 9 servers are running on it...

> For step one I think a convention of /backup/projectname should make it
> easy for us to sort through and grab backups with bacula.
>
> Does that work well for others?

Please set up a bacula backup soon.

thanks,
Markus