[SAC] rsync backups for download.osgeo.org

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Nov 27 15:50:35 EST 2010

On 11/27/2010 12:56 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for your efforts.

>>> The backup of the "project" VM is quite important. Is there anything
>>> known about that (and/or an updated Wiki page describing the state
>>> of the art)?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Markus
>>
>> Well there are 2 distinct steps.
>> 1. a project needs to dump it's files/databases/configurations somewhere
>> easy to find and in an efficient format.
>
> yes (I do this for GRASS occasionally).
>
>> 2. we need to configure a way to pull those to the Backup machine, most
>> likely using Bacula, but possibly just relying on rysnc
>
> So you mean that the project VM is not backup'ed at all?
> oh.... since 9 servers are running on it... As of today
> it contains:
>
> docs.geotools.org.conf
> geos.osgeo.org.conf
> geotools.org.conf
> mapserver.org.conf
> projects.mapbender.osgeo.conf
> sr.org.conf
> tilecache.org.conf
> www.gdal.org.conf
> www.remotesensing.org.conf
>
> oh.... since 9 servers are running on it...
>
>> For step one I think a convention of /backup/projectname should make it
>> easy for us to sort through and grab backups with bacula.
>>
>> Does that work well for others?
>
> Please set up a bacula backup soon.
>
> thanks,
> Markus

Bacula is setup and currently backs up /etc on all of the new servers.
We have have not setup a backup for a /backup folder yet as far as I
know because we never agreed on the plan. If this idea works then we'll
have Martin setup the jobs on Bacula. It will be up to each of the above
mentioned projects though to create a script appropriate for dumping
their data appropriately.

We also need to decide on the frequency, full vs incremental and the
time schedule:
I would say every night(or 2), incremental, full every 2 weeks, maybe
right after the /etc backups happen.
An alternate if there is a lot of database dumping might be every week,
full every 4 weeks, sometime on the weekend.

Thoughts?