[SAC] [SECURITY] [DSA 2360-1] Two month advance notification for upcoming end-of-life for Debian oldstable (lenny)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 17 22:15:38 EST 2011

Martin wrote:
> For the next distro upgrade of any OSGeo VM I'd recommend
> to draw a well-defined line.  Rebooting is safe after upgrading
> ("aptitude install") apt, aptitude, dpkg plus their required
> dependencies.  But everything past this point, including kernel
> environment and boot loader, should be done in one single
> "dist-upgrade" without further reboot.

... simply following the order of ceremonies from
  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrading-udev

which recommends that you take care of the kernel & udev + reboot before
the doing the dist-upgrade.

we'll see what happened soon enough, Alex was kind enough to pass a request
to osuosl & I was logging the session up to that point.

Hamish

ps- mod file was /etc/init.d/denyhosts not hosts.deny btw