[SAC] [SECURITY] [DSA 2360-1] Two month advance notification for upcoming end-of-life for Debian oldstable (lenny)

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sat Dec 17 21:32:08 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 06:02:33PM -0800, Hamish wrote:

> well, I got as far as upgrading the stuff which didn't need dist-upgrade,
> then the kernel and udev, but upon rebooting directly after installing
> udev [...]

For the next distro upgrade of any OSGeo VM I'd recommend to draw a
well-defined line.  Rebooting is safe after upgrading ("aptitude
install") apt, aptitude, dpkg plus their required dependencies.  But
everything past this point, including kernel environment and boot
loader, should be done in one single "dist-upgrade" without further
reboot.

Cheers,