[SAC] Resurrect continuous integration VM (once again)

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Oct 7 17:58:36 EDT 2011

On 07/10/11 10:22, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 09:26:30PM +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> On 06/10/11 21:08, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>>> I'm concerned that our two servers at OSU OSL are getting
>>> rather crowded with VMs and that it might be hard to
>>> host a big build-and-test VM there right now.  I wonder
>>> if John might be able to provide an appropriate VM at
>>> Telascience?
>>
>> I see. Let's wait and see what's the situation when the dust after
>> current motions/migrations settles down.
>
> Mat, what about starting by gathering informations about required
> dependencies and resources for the build master ?

I'm supportive.

> I think it would be a good service even if the machine does only the
> master side. We want slaves to be distributed as much as possible

Yes. The master machine is quite solid two-cores and 4GB RAM machine.
Then we add remote slave machines.

> (thus my inquiry about how widely distributed hudson was vs. buildbot..).

I do not think there is any difference regarding distribution.
Both support it fairly well.
My main question mark is regarding structure of OSGeo projects
vs master(s) vs jenkins instance(s)

In buildbot, we followed simple convention that each project has
separate instance (process) with dedicated master.
So, there was clear physical separation, a dedicated URL, separate
status website, etc. I believe it's a good idea to have it like this.

In jenkins, I'm not sure what we can achieve.
I don't want to present developers with single page with all builds of
all projects. It would be messy. Also, it would make it difficult to
maintain privileges.

Looking at jenkins' own build config, I see some categories displayed as
tabs. jenkins documentation is bad, so I could not find anything
regarding this, but perhaps it is at least possible to have projects
displayed on separate tabs like here: Core, Libraries, Plugins, etc.

http://ci.jenkins-ci.org/view/All/

Imagine those tabs are GDAL, GEOS, PROJ.4, etc.

I've planned to describe our idea and expactations and post to jenkins
mailing list [1] asking for suggestion how to organise it. But, family
is visiting me at london, so no time until Monday.
Meanwhile, let's discuss here what we want, as you suggest.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/jenkinsci-users/topics

BTW, I quickly looked at buildbot. Quite a few new relases since I used
it last time. One of new nice features is console:
http://trac.buildbot.net/wiki/ScreenShots

Still no GUI for configuration though.
Also, some nice programmatic features have been added:
http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/current/manual/customization.html

Member of ACCU, http://accu.org