[SAC] Fwd: passwords being sent in clear text

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Sat Dec 1 11:27:37 PST 2012

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>wrote:

> I have not seen such a request before. I will note that the behavior is
> the same for every mailman list I'm subscribed to on the web. I don't
> think mailing list preference passwords are typically considered secure.
>
> That said, it's not a bad idea to research options to make it more secure.
>
> Quick search says, we should simply disable the monthly reminders.
> Supposedly updates to mailman years ago should have moved to hashed
> passwords and not auto-mailing them, but I don't see any evidence that
> those patches were ever released.

It may be good policy to universally disable this.

Right now the user already has complete control and can make their own
decisions.

Copied from logging into an OSGeo list:

*Get password reminder email for this list?*

Once a month, you will get an email containing a password reminder for
every list at this host to which you are subscribed. You can turn this off
on a per-list basis by selecting *No* for this option. If you turn off
password reminders for all the lists you are subscribed to, no reminder
email will be sent to you.
No
Yes

*Set globally*

Is this thread about universally establishing good policy for all users or
helping 1 user change their settings to how they like them?

Eli