[SAC] Fair projectsVM usage (esp. Openlayers)

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 28 12:15:22 EST 2012

On 02/28/2012 01:50 AM, Martin Spott wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 01:24:23AM -0800, Hamish wrote:
>
>> .. for one thing I'm not a bacula expert, so I don't like messing with
>> it myself without checking in with the local experts first, for another I
>> don't have sudo rights on that VM.
>
> I'm certainly not a Bacula guru, anyhow I do claim some familiarity
> with Bacula (as well as with some other backup systems).
>
> As such I've been pointing out that, according to my understanding,
> you're trying to cure a symptom instead of fixing a cause.  If you
> don't agree, that's fine with me, but don't expect me to waste time on
> stuff which I think follows the wrong track.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

Martin,

What other solutions would you recommend?

Doing research I did see that someone requested such ability be added to
bacula back in 2010, though I don't know if it was put in. One option I
found was
ionice -c3 -p $(pgrep bacula)
I was thinking we could put that into a script and set bacula to run
that script before backup, so basically it would re-nice itself every
time before starting the intensive stuff.

Could it be that Martin is also suggesting we be more selective about
what gets backed up as a way to reduce the load?