[SAC] Re: projectsVM: rsync reniced to 10

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu May 24 20:09:57 EDT 2012

Hi Markus and others,

Apologies for the hassle.  I'm now subscribed to the SAC list.  With
no real "SA" credentials to speak of, I welcome suggestions on how we
can manage resources on the shared machines without causing trouble
for others.

I've removed three uses of rsync in the script that updates the hosted
OpenLayers sites.  I'm hoping this will alleviate future problems.  I
see someone has added "nice" to our cron job.

    # m h  dom mon dow   command
    33 * * * *  nice -n 18
/osgeo/openlayers/repos/openlayers/tools/update_dev_dir.sh

I'll briefly describe what our goals are below.  Please let me know if
you can see better ways to accomplish this.

The openlayers.org website is based on content from two git
repositories.  Everything under the /dev path is the result of
concatenating/minifiying scripts and modifying examples from the main
library repository.  Everything else comes from a separate repository.

Previously, the hosted resources were served out of svn checkouts -
with a checkout of the main library repo nested within the the
checkout of the website repo (under the dev path).  Because the lib
resources were modified in place, the checkouts were not always
updated reliably.

Recently I updated things to maintain clones of the two git repos, and
am using rsync to update copies of the website and library repos in
/osgeo/openlayers/sites/openlayers.org and
/osgeo/openlayers/sites/openlayers.org/dev respectively.  The website
repo is updated very infrequently and the library repo is updated
frequently.

As mentioned above, I got rid of three uses of rsync (to update hosted
copies of the sandboxes, addins, and sphinx docs).  Please suggest
alternatives if they way we're using it currently is still a problem
[1][2].

Thanks,
Tim

[1] https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/blob/11084334653f1520c62aafc8cfe5896f133e929f/tools/update_dev_dir.sh#L15-16