[SAC] SVN Commit Slowness

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Sep 1 09:14:48 PDT 2012

On 12-09-01 02:43 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>>> Frank,

>>> Well, I hesitate a bit since it would ruin our nice timeline:
>>> http://cia.vc/stats/project/GRASS
>>>
>>> "32064 messages since the first one, 6.06 years ago, for an average of
>>> 1.66 hours between messages"
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> I wonder what might slow down this script from one day to the next...
>>
>> Markus,
>>
>> OK, well let me know if you come to a decision.
>>
>> I assume the cia service is acting up but I did not investigate further.
>
> Frank,
>
> what I don't understand:
>
> in /var/www/svn/repos/grass/hooks/post-commit:
> /var/www/svn/hookscripts/ciabot_svn.py "$REPOS" "$REV" "GRASS" &
>
> it is send to bg - still svn is waiting for the job. Is there any way
> to launch ciabot_svn.py more independently? At this point the svn
> client would return and ciabot_svn.py can finish whenever it wants to.
>
> Any hint?

Markus,

The intention is that ciabot_svn.py runs independently, but the first thing
it does is run svnlook into a pipe the results of which it reformats and
pipes to ciabot remotely.  I *assume* the svnlook is blocking and holding
a lock on the repository while it waits to connect to ciabot. I am also
assuming that the svn submit request tries to get access to the repository
one more time before completion and that is blocked by the svnlook command.

My suggestion, if you want to try, is to have the svnlook output directed
to a file in /tmp and then use that to send back to ciabot so that the
svnlook command finishes quickly.

I glanced at ciabot_svn.py with this idea but decided it was a bit
complicated and not that important to me.  You can certainly try.