[SAC] 2013 Agenda - was: Upgrade list for VMs

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jan 17 18:36:46 PST 2013

On 12/13/2012 11:41 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Other things that have come up which should be addressed:
> * Make sure all the machines are on Munin (missing - Secure, Mail, Web)
> * Finish migrating osgeo1 to OSL servers (Drupal)
> * Purchase of 3rd server for OSL - should it be slow with large disks,
> or another VM machine to spread the load?
> * Upgade Trac, we have a cloned server to test, if we're not going to do
> it we should turn off that clone and recover the resources.
> * Migrate Vmap0 to telescience
>

> This is mostly a mental dump before I take off for a week of vacation
> likely without internet.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Slight update:
* We have a round-robin DNS with telescience for serving Vmap0 so we're
not taking all the hits anymore. - thanks Martin
* Progress is being made on Drupal migration from osgeo1, I've begun
discussions with my coworker who is an expert on the topic and can
probably solve this. I will check if spending funds might make this
happen faster.

* New Server
I'm starting to think that we might want to get a new machine that is
more VM capable, as trac seems to use as many cores as we can give it.
Going this route, we could re-balance the VM load and free up more disk
on osgeo4 for more backup space.
I've restarted the conversation with OSUOSL since they made an offer to
use a donation from us for a new machine (not sure that ever went through).
Other plan, is just to get something with big disks, but I'm not sure
we'd use that smartly over more cpu power for higher loads (likely to
have quite a bit of disk anyways since price has come down so much)

*Trac upgrade
1. We should move to mod_wsgi - I started looking at how complicated
this would be, should be possible in place, 1 trac site at a time. (Easy)
2. We should upgrade trac, this can happen before or after adding server
3. It's easy to clone the running server, test the upgrade and then swap
the 2 VMs ip addresses. (Harder)

Anyone have comments or other topics to add?