[SAC] Bounce action notification

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Sep 12 09:53:53 PDT 2013

On 09/12/2013 08:03 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
> On 09/12/2013 12:40 PM, Martin Spott wrote:
>> Too many Hotmail users marked incoming mail from "mail.osgeo.org"
>> as unsolicited (whatever "too many" means), that's why Hotmail
>> decided to block the entire host.  I suspect there's little we can
>> do about it.
>
>> Cheers, Martin.
>
> Umm. Well, then we might indeed want to write an email to the 64 who
> have so far been kicked out to at least let them know that they will
> not receive mails through the lists anymore.
>
> Unsure what to do.
>
> Suggestions?

A formal letter to hotmail explaining that we are a subscription based
opt in service, and in fact a real organization not created for the
purposes of spamming should suffice.

I'll note we are not alone in our issues with hotmail: "60 percent of
fake twitter accounts are via hotmail"
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/08/deciphering-the-tricks-of-the-twitter-spammers/

We probably should recommend to our users that hotmail is not a good
service to use as it's one of the most widely hacked and is subject to
randomly blocking all sorts of senders:
http://www.stopbouncing.com/articles/mail-bouncing-from-hotmail