[SAC] mail.osgeo.org running out of disk space

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Sep 13 10:51:02 PDT 2013

On 09/13/2013 09:30 AM, Martin Spott wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 06:07:18PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> mail:/home/neteler# df -h  .
>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/vda3              69G   65G  910M  99% /
>
> I won't be surprised if it's the Mailman list archive filling the disk.
>
>> Can we increase the partition size?
>
> The entire disk is already full. The machine either needs its disk
> extended or have another disk added.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

So we added 10G back in February, mail usage seems to have grown quite a
bit since then
http://webextra.osgeo.osuosl.org/munin/osgeo.org/mail.osgeo.org-df.html

Looks like we've actually done that 2x since we created the VM. Is all
of that legit mail and archives? The growth curve seems quite steep and
long term difficult to sustain. Are those archives compressed?

I estimate we still have 250 G of room that can be used to grow on
osgeo4. Also once the new backup machine is online that will free up 500 G.

I'll prepare a request to augment the disk with OSUOSL but we should
look at reducing the rate of growth if it doesn't impact the service.