[SAC] mail.osgeo.org running out of disk space

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Sep 13 12:10:03 PDT 2013

On 09/13/2013 10:51 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 09/13/2013 09:30 AM, Martin Spott wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 06:07:18PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
>>
>>> mail:/home/neteler# df -h  .
>>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>>> /dev/vda3              69G   65G  910M  99% /
>>
>> I won't be surprised if it's the Mailman list archive filling the disk.
>>
>>> Can we increase the partition size?
>>
>> The entire disk is already full. The machine either needs its disk
>> extended or have another disk added.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> 	Martin.
>>

> So we added 10G back in February, mail usage seems to have grown quite a
> bit since then
> http://webextra.osgeo.osuosl.org/munin/osgeo.org/mail.osgeo.org-df.html
>
> Looks like we've actually done that 2x since we created the VM. Is all
> of that legit mail and archives? The growth curve seems quite steep and
> long term difficult to sustain. Are those archives compressed?
>
> I estimate we still have 250 G of room that can be used to grow on
> osgeo4. Also once the new backup machine is online that will free up 500 G.
>
> I'll prepare a request to augment the disk with OSUOSL but we should
> look at reducing the rate of growth if it doesn't impact the service.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

du -ch --max-depth=1 /var
4.0K	/var/opt
16K	/var/list
4.0K	/var/tmp
4.0K	/var/local
8.2G	/var/log
100M	/var/cache
120K	/var/run
35M	/var/mail
24K	/var/lock
116M	/var/www
55G	/var/lib
127M	/var/spool
4.9M	/var/backups
63G	/var
63G	total

Mail stuff from /var/log
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm       45K Sep 13 11:21 mail.err
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm      7.1K Sep  6 02:40 mail.err.1
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm       915 Sep  1 06:25 mail.err.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm       993 Aug 23 20:10 mail.err.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm       937 Aug 16 13:52 mail.err.4.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm      1.7G Sep 13 11:47 mail.info
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm      1.3G Sep  8 06:27 mail.info.1
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm       87M Sep  1 06:30 mail.info.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm      110M Aug 25 06:25 mail.info.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm      120M Aug 18 06:28 mail.info.4.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm      1.7G Sep 13 11:47 mail.log
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm      1.3G Sep  8 06:27 mail.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm       87M Sep  1 06:30 mail.log.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm      110M Aug 25 06:25 mail.log.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root   adm      120M Aug 18 06:28 mail.log.4.gz

du -ch --max-depth=1 /var/lib/mailman
110M	/var/lib/mailman/data
3.0M	/var/lib/mailman/qfiles
4.0K	/var/lib/mailman/spam
54G	/var/lib/mailman/archives <----
25M	/var/lib/mailman/messages
142M	/var/lib/mailman/lists
55G	/var/lib/mailman
55G	total

more specifically /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/
Some of the older lists are in the 500-900 MB range.

Is there a way to compress these mbox files?