[SAC] [support.osuosl.org #20349] Backup Implementation for OSGeo VMs (Update 2013-09-18: the server has arrived)

Emily Dunham via RT support at osuosl.org
Wed Sep 18 11:43:16 PDT 2013

On Tue Sep 10 08:09:21 2013, ramereth wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM, tech at wildintellect.com via RT <
> support at osuosl.org> wrote:
>
> > We placed the order today. Should I open another ticket about the
> > configuration or just continue this one?
> > Basics - we want software RAID5, our only intended use is Bacula so it's
> > up to your team about virtualizing or not. If it is virtual we can
> > probably just migrate our existing Backup VM over, and you can run the
> > RAID5 underneath on the main host and it will just show up as one big
> > drive in the VM, though we might discuss splitting the VM OS and data
> > into 2 virtual disks.
> >

> Were you wanting to add this machine to your ganeti cluster using it for
> more things other than backups? If so that shouldn't be a problem. Just
> let me know what you'd like to do. If the box is just going to be for
> backups I'm not sure how VMs will make things better.
>
> Let us know, thanks!

Alex,

The server arrived at the OSL today. Since you'll be using it for backups, we'd
prefer to have it in the same rack as your current hardware. There's enough
space to rack it there, but we're at the limits of redundant power
availability. Our current plan is to set up the new server in the rack with
your others, then move out some unrelated projects to reduce power load.

Do you need a public IP address (if you're using the box for purposes other
than backups), or will a back-end network connection to the other OSGEO boxes
be sufficient? Also, the backend network switch in that rack is only
100megabit.

> Should I open another ticket about the configuration or just continue this
one?

Let's discuss configuration in this ticket.

Thanks,
Emily Dunham
Student Systems Engineer, OSU OSL