[SAC] [support.osuosl.org #20349] Backup Implementation for OSGeo VMs (Update 2013-09-18: the server has arrived)

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Sep 18 13:34:25 PDT 2013

On 09/18/2013 11:43 AM, Emily Dunham via RT wrote:
> On Tue Sep 10 08:09:21 2013, ramereth wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM, tech at wildintellect.com via RT <
>> support at osuosl.org> wrote:
>>
>>> We placed the order today. Should I open another ticket about the
>>> configuration or just continue this one?
>>> Basics - we want software RAID5, our only intended use is Bacula so it's
>>> up to your team about virtualizing or not. If it is virtual we can
>>> probably just migrate our existing Backup VM over, and you can run the
>>> RAID5 underneath on the main host and it will just show up as one big
>>> drive in the VM, though we might discuss splitting the VM OS and data
>>> into 2 virtual disks.
>>>

>> Were you wanting to add this machine to your ganeti cluster using it for
>> more things other than backups? If so that shouldn't be a problem. Just
>> let me know what you'd like to do. If the box is just going to be for
>> backups I'm not sure how VMs will make things better.
>>
>> Let us know, thanks!
>>

> Alex,
>
> The server arrived at the OSL today. Since you'll be using it for backups, we'd
> prefer to have it in the same rack as your current hardware. There's enough
> space to rack it there, but we're at the limits of redundant power
> availability. Our current plan is to set up the new server in the rack with
> your others, then move out some unrelated projects to reduce power load.
>
> Do you need a public IP address (if you're using the box for purposes other
> than backups), or will a back-end network connection to the other OSGEO boxes
> be sufficient? Also, the backend network switch in that rack is only
> 100megabit.
>
>> Should I open another ticket about the configuration or just continue this
> one?
>
> Let's discuss configuration in this ticket.
>
> Thanks,
> Emily Dunham
> Student Systems Engineer, OSU OSL

I think we need a public IP because OSGeo admins will be the ones
managing the backups and it would be fairly inconvenient to have to
tunnel through another machine to get there. Also it needs to be able to
talk to all of our Ganeti VMs, so unless we're going to add a second
backend bridge that's not super useful.

Yes, long term redundant power is part of what we bought the PSU for, I
understand that won't be implemented right away.

I'm still discussing with my team if this should be ganeti based or just
direct OS on the metal. Will try to get back an answer soon, might be
hard as most of them are at FOSS4G conference in the UK right now
(OSGeo's main conference every year).