[SAC] QGIS servers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 24 07:37:18 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>wrote:

> Question to OSGeo SAC:
> - what is the position/idea of OSGeo in this?
>
> Should a (pretty demanding?) question like this being served by OSGeo
> server(s). Or should the OSGeo hardware be reserved for smaller/starting
> projects.

Richard,

I'm not speaking for the committee, just myself.

I'd like to serve most project needs, even for large projects.  However,
OSGeo/SAC assistance to projects works best when there is some commonality
with other projects so that SAC itself can provide some of the system
support.  To the extent that QGIS does not seem interested in using any of
the services (LDAP, trac, svn) that we provide to other projects, and if
QGIS wants to personally managed servers for other services as opposed to
hosting them in OSGeo managed servers (ie. many projects keep various
activities on the Projects VM, or even using the VM approach used for other
OSGeo VMs), then I start to doubt the value we add.

> Or practical:
>
> Can OSGeo provide us either
> one big bare-metal machine, so we could try/do the Docker scenario
> (preferred option!!)
> OR
> provide us with enough virtual machines so we could partition different
> beasts better
> OR
> should we try to fund a hetzner server for QGIS (actually: "should OSGeo
> try compete with commercial services like Hetzner for this kind of
> questions").

It seems you have already made up your mind to ask the question in this way.

All that said, I'm not adverse to OSGeo purchasing an additional server to
place at OSU OSL and making it available.  This likely would take a number
of weeks to complete.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com