[SAC] QGIS servers

Arnulf Christl (Seven) seven at arnulf.us
Tue Sep 24 07:53:59 PDT 2013

Richard,
I concur with Frank and suggest you run with a bare bone box (which
provider is then also up to you). Question is whether the cost of a
decent server is something that OSGeo can and wants to invest or
whether this is up to the project (or a Local Chapter like FOSSGIS who
have already contributed to QGIS code sprints).

Cheers,
Arnulf

PS:
btw: "Infrastructure Manager QGIS Project Steering Committee" is an
impressive title. Have you considered to contribute to the OSGeo SAC
team directly? Then more projects could profit from your
competencies...

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>
> wrote:
>>

>> Question to OSGeo SAC:
>> - what is the position/idea of OSGeo in this?
>>
>> Should a (pretty demanding?) question like this being served by OSGeo
>> server(s). Or should the OSGeo hardware be reserved for smaller/starting
>> projects.
>

> Richard,
>
> I'm not speaking for the committee, just myself.
>
> I'd like to serve most project needs, even for large projects.  However,
> OSGeo/SAC assistance to projects works best when there is some commonality
> with other projects so that SAC itself can provide some of the system
> support.  To the extent that QGIS does not seem interested in using any of
> the services (LDAP, trac, svn) that we provide to other projects, and if
> QGIS wants to personally managed servers for other services as opposed to
> hosting them in OSGeo managed servers (ie. many projects keep various
> activities on the Projects VM, or even using the VM approach used for other
> OSGeo VMs), then I start to doubt the value we add.
>

>> Or practical:
>>
>> Can OSGeo provide us either
>> one big bare-metal machine, so we could try/do the Docker scenario
>> (preferred option!!)
>> OR
>> provide us with enough virtual machines so we could partition different
>> beasts better
>> OR
>> should we try to fund a hetzner server for QGIS (actually: "should OSGeo
>> try compete with commercial services like Hetzner for this kind of
>> questions").
>

> It seems you have already made up your mind to ask the question in this way.
>
> All that said, I'm not adverse to OSGeo purchasing an additional server to
> place at OSU OSL and making it available.  This likely would take a number
> of weeks to complete.
>
> Best regards,
> Frank
>

>> Please let us know what you think so we can proceed our quest for world
>> domination ;-)
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Duivenvoorde
>> Infrastructure Manager QGIS Project Steering Committee
>>

>> [0] https://www.docker.io/learn_more/

> --

Making sense with your spatial data
http://www.metaspatial.net