[SAC] build server

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sun Sep 29 09:26:27 PDT 2013

Hi Alex,

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 09:01:46AM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:

> Also I had an idea, that we should take the "Backup" vm and turn at
> least part of it into a "Build" vm [...]

I'm sorry to disagree.

As far as I understand, the OSGeo infrastructure is meant to host the
public 'interface' for OSGeo projects.  Quite a few of the sites are
serving as a flagship for the respective projects and some of them have
already proven to be 'slightly' ressource-hungry.

Project build services I've seen in the OSGeo- as well as other
projects' milieus are typically characerized as being hammered to
death, I/O-wise.  I don't think we want to run this sort of 'service'
on a precious ressource which the OSGeo server infrastructure is,
because it finally would hurt OSGeo projects' 'production' sites.

And, last but not least, from past exprience I don't trust any promises
about users behaving cooperatively wrt. using free ressources.

Cheers,