[SAC] build server

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sun Sep 29 13:36:56 PDT 2013

Hi Juergen !

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 09:52:00PM +0200, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> On Sun, 29. Sep 2013 at 20:44:48 +0200, Martin Spott wrote:

> > no, at the same time they also hurt other projects by consuming more
> > ressources than half a dozend projects consume in total - and I'm pretty
> > certain that in the earlier days of this infrastructure there was general
> > agreement not to allow build services.
>
> Oh, sorry.  Nobody complained so far and I added the fact that we're running
> builds on that VM to the sac page almost three years ago.  So I thought it was
> ok.  Are there more dos'n'donts that we should be aware of?

Well, I don't know who was involved in setting up a per-project VM,
personally I think the idea wasn't very clever in general - at least in
terms of getting along nicely on a shared, common ressource.
As far as I can tell, the Projects VM suffering from I/O latency has
been a varying but persistent issue, people got used to it ....  :-/

I have to admit that I was unaware of the QGIS builds, therefore I
never had a closer look at what's going on at the QGIS VM when I/O
issues were on-topic.
If I remember correctly the general rule was to run on the OSGeo
infrastructure what relates directly to the respective web presence -
thus autogen documentation would be ok.  because it 'lives' on-site -
but to move all sorts ressource-hungry build/render/custom stuff
off-site.  Please object if you think I'm wrong.

Cheers,