[SAC] [support.osuosl.org #23649] [OSGeo] Failed disk in osgeo4.osuosl.bak

Justin Dugger via RT support at osuosl.org
Thu Apr 3 09:25:59 PDT 2014

On Thu Apr 03 08:28:55 2014, ramereth wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 12:04 AM, tech at wildintellect.com via RT <
> support at osuosl.org> wrote:
>
> > Something seems amiss. The ProjectsVM stopped responding, high disk
> > latency and iowait ( 10-11pm PST
>
> Rebuild Progress on Device at Enclosure 32, Slot 3 Completed 82% in
> 200
> Minutes.
>
> I've never seen a rebuild take this long before but this hardware is
> starting to show its age a little.

The only time I've seen things go this slowly was the time I forgot to take our (very busy) FTP mirror out of rotation for the duration of a build. Under RAID 5, recalculating a block on the replacement drive requires a reading in a block on all the other drives. So rebuilds can 'steal' a lot of I/O from a system that was already down 1 disk worth of I/O requests per second. While you can sometimes tune the RAID firmware to rebuild at a lower priority, there's a balancing act between service latency and repairing the RAID array before a second drive fails.

TL;DR: sorry this is taking so long; I didn't realize the services depending on it were quite so IO bound.