[SAC] Hosting for http://openstreetmap.org.ar/

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Fri Mar 21 01:14:16 PDT 2014

>  Hello, I'm Fernando, from the OSM-Ar community.
>
> First of all, thank you for taking this into consideration.
>
> For your information, we were running on a humble VPS with the following
> specs:
>
> 1Gb RAM
> 60GB HDD
> 1 core
> 500GB of BW
>
> This setup wasnt really enough, low RAM made on-the-fly rendering quite
> slow, not handling concurrency nicely, if at all. As the HDD is 60GB
> caching turned virtually useless, the elevated inodes usage constantly
> filled the disk.
>
> Anyway, at least doubling this specs (not the BW), while implementing new
> techniques and stack might be enough for the mid term.
>
> We only serve tiles from Argentina, so our DB has only the Geofabrik
> extract from this country.
>
> Its not exactly a mirror, as we introduce minor changes in the style,
> symbols, and localization. [1]
>
> On the other hand, we constantly "represent" OSM, and FOSS4G when
> government authorities or representatives show interest on these, wich is
> quite usual lately. We are a healthy community working on this matter
> constantly. We love FLOSS and Open Data.
>
> We aim to get incorporated in the Local Chapters proposal, but we still
> are a community, not a legal entity. [2] [3]
>
> About the software:
>
> OS: Debian 7
>
> mapnik
> osm2pgsql
> postgresql - postgis
> tilestache
> nodejs, node-mapnik, tile-live, cartocss
> nginx
>
> Also note that I can fully manage the server, so a fresh Debian is all we
> need.
>

> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap_Argentina
> [2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters
> [3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/Agreement
>
> For the sake of brevity Ive ommited lots of details on what we do and can
> do, but I'll be glad to clear further doubts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fernando Sanz

Hi, please let me support this request. Fernando is speaking on behalf of
an active community. I was with Jeff at FOSS4G Buenos Aires 2013, impressed
by their passion and how fast they've built a community of professional and
hard working enthusiasts, bringing people from open source and open data
realms. Being Geoinquietos Argentina younger than other Geoinquietos groups
(kind of microchapters started with FOSS4G 2010 in Barcelona) they accepted
and succeed on the challenge of doing a great conference.

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org