[SAC] New Vms w/ Debian 7

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri May 9 15:13:09 PDT 2014

I agree this is a good time to remind people that if they have specific
needs, such as things that adhoc is currently used for, then they need
to speak up.

1. Document what they use it for
2. Document what if anything they want backed up
3. Add to the wish list what they want to be able to do
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Transition_Plan_2014

The current defacto policy, we don't back it up unless you explicitly
asked for it to be backed up. We may also require assistance prepping
the files for backup if say a db backup is required. Obviously we are
backing some stuff up, but I'm not confident that we could really
restore a machine 100% from it.

As we're discovering, full backups of everything is unrealistic. It just
leads to dismal performance and overuse of the hardware. There are also
2 levels to consider:
1. Failover copy (we don't currently do this - mirrors is one
option,drbd another)
2. An actual archive backup used to build a fresh machine (this is the
current backup system)

Option 2 when needed does involve significant downtime to restore and
participation by the people who set up a machine to start. It seems what
more people really want is Option 1. In my mind that requires actual
planning in the next round of hardware or services.

Anyone willing to be in charge of surveying projects and touching base
with all the PSC? Get them to participate in: