[SAC] Cloudflare

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun May 11 17:28:55 PDT 2014

On 05/11/2014 02:06 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi Alex
>

> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>wrote:
>
>> As I noted on the 2014 idea page,
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Transition_Plan_2014 ,
>> I think we should start using CDNs with security in mind.
>>
>> The free plan on Cloudflare should work for our big load non-ssl sites.
>>

>> Independent of my idea it sounds like QGIS devs had the same idea and
>> want to move forward on this. I suggest we coordinate and see if org
>> accounts are possible so DNS/CDN stuff doesn't get spread to far all
>> over the place and noodly (aka impossible to figure out how to fix when
>> something goes wrong).
>>

> Yes we are going to set up cloudflare to front anything that is a good CDN
> candidate (main website, docs, downloads page) to try to reduce the load on
> the server and improve general responsiveness.
>
> With cloudflare the default setup is to use them as your nameserver (moving
> that function away from e.g. godaddy) and then use their panel for DNS
> management.
>
> I dont know if you were thinking organsiation accounts in terms of 'across
> all of osgeo' or just 'across project' - doesnt each project pretty much
> manage their own dns, infrastructure etc. at the moment?
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

I was thinking OSGeo as a an org, team effort. So yes an OSGeo
cloudflare account. In the event we do want to use some of the paid
services.

It appears to be a mixed bag. OSGeo manages
communitymapbuilder.org
featureserver.org
foss4g.org
foss4g2007.org
foss4g2008.org
foss4g2009.org
gdal.org
geotools.org
mapserver.org
openlayers.com
openlayers.net
openlayers.org
osgeo.com
osgeo.net
osgeo.org
pointcloud.org
postgis.net
spatialreference.org
tilecache.org

And all subdomains belonging to those. We use Pairnic and tend to pay 4
years at time per domain ($14/yr). I guess we've never discussed if
projects want to transfer their DNS to OSGeo. Obviously we'd still give
projects access to modify - that the whole point of SAC being made up of
people from different projects.

My testing of cloudflare is that you still need to pay for registration
and then point some of those domains to Cloudflare, the ones you intend
to mask.