[SAC] OSGeo Upgrade Planning

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon May 12 12:15:25 PDT 2014

OSL Team,

OSGeo is thinking about some upgrades, but has a few questions...

1st issue is the osgeo4 is still under-performing even after our recent
hardware replacements. We were wondering if it's would be possible to
temporarily move the VMs from that machine elsewhere in order to rebuild
the machine as either RAID 5 or software RAID? The current RAID 6 is no
longer necessary now that we have a dedicated backup machine.
Would this be a good time for you to upgrade the host OS too? Or would
that just be confusing since osgeo3 can't be upgraded at the same time
and ganeti versions would mismatch?

2nd question, if we do buy some new hardware, is there rack space
available, how much? I think we've shown it's probably not a great idea
to put some of our VMs on hosts shared with other projects. What's the
current recommendations on the hardware from your side? In my head I'm
thinking about 2x 1U boxes with 6x 2.5" drives. Obviously if #2 happens
soon then that answers #1.

OSGeo Sys Admin Committee