[SAC] FOSS4G meet with OSUOSL update

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Tue Sep 16 14:14:10 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:52:06AM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 09/16/2014 06:01 AM, Martin Spott wrote:

> > Practically speaking I'd prefer a plan which allows changing from HW
> > RAID to SW RAID (and maybe updating the host OS, if required)
> > independent from any other migration plans.  Thus, if OSL offers to run
> > our VM's on their cluster for a limited period, then I'd like to do
> > exactly this: Move our VM's off osgeo4, redo osgeo4 (using OSL's
> > favourite host OS and Ganeti) and move the VM's back to osgeo4.  If we
> > expect the projects to migrate their stuff in the same period, then we
> > might fail to meet the schedule.
> >
> For me there are 2 considerations:
> 1. Downtime - my proposal has almost 0 downtime by shuffling stuff
> between running machines. Moving a VM between clusters requires downtime
> of hours.

I agree that downtime is a little bit unfortunate for the main
communication relay, the "mail" VM, but for the other ones ?  I mean,
if we announce a maintenance window let's say one week in advance, I'd
say this should be ok.
I can't imagine how to estimate the time required to move let's say all
projects to Docker, therefore I'd prefer not to mix host OS renovation
and migration to Docker.

> 2. Cruft, Markus' biggest complaint about the current Projects VM is
> that there seems to be too much stuff in once place to figure out what's
> actually causing the troubles.

Mmmmmh, I'd say we should try to solve one problem at a time.

 - First there's the RAID which doesn't perform as planned and we're
trying to fix this issue by converting HW RAID into SW RAID.
 - Second there's a lot of cruft on the "projects" VM which deserves a
cleanup.
 - Third we don't have access to the host OS - which, from my
perspective, is the main reason why whe've been unable to perform a
reasonable diagnosis of the current trouble. It's not the cruft on the
"projects" VM which prevents better diagnosis - at least according to
my opinion.

> I suggest Docker for the new hardware [...]

Agreed.

Cheers,