[SAC] FOSS4G meet with OSUOSL update

Alex Mandel tech at wildintellect.com
Thu Sep 18 10:17:07 PDT 2014

On 09/18/2014 10:12 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Alex Mandel
> <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just some notes from when I had a change to sit down with Justin from
>> OSUOSL.
>>
>> 3. Justin thinks there's enough space on other OSL hardware to shift
>> osgeo4 vms for approximately 1 month so we can redo osgeo4. AKA switch
>> to software raid 5, update the host OS, etc... We should schedule this
>> in advance based on SAC availability to do required work.

>> Summary we might be able to put off buying a machine for 6 months to a
>> year. But I wouldn't want to hold off longer than that as our machines
>> are nearing 4 years in age.
>
> Will osgeo4 be on new infrastructure in six months?
>
> From an observer perspective, I see the most limited resource to be
> SAC members' very kindly donated volunteer hours.  Making more SAC
> work (migrate osgeo4-->OSUOSL-->osgeo4-->new infrastructure in 6
> months) to delay hardware purchases doesn't seem like the best use of
> SAC time.  That being said, I'm not the one doing the work so leave it
> to those doing the work to suggest purchasing infrastructure and
> migrating osgeo4-->new infrastructure.  I know that some of the work
> needs to be done either way and sometimes it isn't actually easier to
> do the 'simpler' route or that sometimes things just need to get done
> sooner than other plans allow.
>
> Best regards, Eli

If it performs well enough, then no additional migration is needed. We
have no firm plans on new hardware but do have a need to fix the
performance now. We also don't know what exactly we plan to do with the
new hardware when we get it.

If I had confidence that there would be volunteers to cleanup and
migrate to fresh installs then we would do so.

Alex Mandel
http://wildintellect.com