[SAC] Slack and OSGeo

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 24 09:18:29 PDT 2015

> For me, the main advantages of Slack are:
>
> Notifications
> mobile access
> firewall friendly
>
> code posting formatting
> reactions (voting)
> Searching
>

> Plus, I'm already in slack for other channels.
>
> All that being said, one of the open source clones of slack would also
> work well.
>
> Mike

I agree with Mike.

I use Slack at work all the time, it saves a lot of email, mobile app
is good enough (way better than IRC clients), the search and
"starring" works fine, etc.

Yes it's closed source, like github, the text editor I normally use to
code or the Operating System of many people working on Open Source.
But on the other hand if it improves collaboration and discussion to
people that now is hesitant to use IRC, well I can live with that
closeness.

It's exactly the same discussion than using mailing lists instead of
allowing us to use Meetup or Facebook as new channels for new times
and new audiences.

IRC has worked always well, nobody is telling here to stop using it,
but why not allowing us to experiment with new ways of communicating
and interact?

(BTW I'm using the OSGeo Slack to IRC gateway, it works nicely
http://i.imgur.com/WeB0BW6.png)

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org