[SAC] hardware status QGIS server

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 3 09:48:56 PST 2015

On 02/03/2015 08:47 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 03-02-15 11:20, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> just curious, are you also on the "osgeo4" hardware?
>>
>> I thought you had a Hetzner server...
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> nope the web-stuff: site, docs, debian packages are still on osgeo
> hardware, check:
> http://hub.qgis.org
> http://qgis.org
> to see the slowness I mean
>
> about one year ago we moved plugins.qgis.org and all the building
> machinery (packages and sphinx for docs and site) to a Hetzner server
> indeed.
>
> That's why I'm asking for a planning, as currently the site is too slow
> for normal use, and also the rsyncing from Hetzner ('qgis2') to osgeo
> ('qgis') takes too long.
>
> If it takes a week to solve the hardware problem, we probably wait for
> it, but it is more I think we should move the site temporarily to qgis2
> (also because during a release: around 20th feb we generate a lot of
> traffic).
>
> if anybody can provide a planning that would be easier for us to decide
> what to do.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

I would recommend, you flip the main qgis.org over to your backup on
qgis2 for now. Hopefully diverting that traffic will leave hub
performing better as is.

Also, now is the time if QGIS has any preferences to state them for
future hardware.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Transition_Plan_2014