[SAC] [Qgis-psc] signing certificates

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Oct 31 15:35:47 PDT 2015

HI Richard,

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 2:04 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>
wrote:

> On 29-10-15 23:02, Jody Garnett wrote:
> > Good afternoon:
> >
> > The board has passed the following motion "Authorize up to $500
> > USD/annual for the SAC to obtain signing certificates for use by OSGeo
> > projects (as per request of the QGIS PSC)."
> >
> > Larry Shaffer as agreed to join the SAC committee to facilitate this
> > activity, and should be able to answer any questions on what is needed.
> > While there has been some discussion on the board mailing list on the
> > technical aspects of this activity, please take a moment to go over the
> > same ground with Larry.
> >
> > While QGIS is the initial focus, other projects should also be in
> > position to take advantage of this capability. I trust we can use this
> > initial experience with QGIS to learn how to manage a certificate and
> > provide controlled access.
>
> Thanks Jody and Larry for taking care of this at OSGeo and SAC!
>
> Looking forward to see the first signed QGIS installer, and I hope this
> makes it easier for other GeoFOSS libs and installer too.
>
> By the way, somebody aware of this 'brew cask' stuff?
> It is suggested here: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/issues/281

The cask project is merely a means of automating Mac drag/drop or package
installers of applications via the *command line*, nothing more. I highly
recommend avoiding listing such an install method on the QGIS website,
especially since a user can just get the same installer directly from the
packager, Kyngchaos.com.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography