[SAC] [Qgis-psc] Osgeo Code signing certificates

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 20 11:13:57 PDT 2016

On 04/20/2016 10:43 AM, Larry Shaffer wrote:
> Dear SAC,
>
> OK, just like last time I brought this up, this has devolved into more
> lovely Apple bashing.
>
> Who here can make a decision on whether any of the money already OK'd by
> the OSGeo for code-signing certificates can be used for an Apple Developer
> account for $99/year (for multiple certs)?
>
> If the OSGeo is unwilling to fund Apple Developer accounts, I will look
> into a crowd-funding campaign for the QGIS project to solve the problem.
> Unless, the QGIS project also does not wish to manage it; in which case I
> will pay for it myself and share the certificates/keys with William
> Kyngsburye.
>
> Larry Shaffer
> Dakota Cartography
> Black Hills, South Dakota

I'll reiterate, if QGIS and any other OSGeo projects feel this is
worthwhile then I support it as a necessary means to helping ensure
users. For me the only question is what other OSGeo projects feel this
is important? Obviously anything William Kyngsburye packages seems like
a candidate.

I wouldn't mind an OSGeo crowd-funding campaign to keep this funded long
term. But really that cost is not outrageous.

For me this question falls under the general principle that OSGeo is
here to support it's member projects. Yes there are limits to what we
can do, but this request seems reasonable. Does someone recall what the
Board said about it? If they approved then really we just need to work
on the technical details of how to implement, not debate implementation.
Any complaints should be addressed at future Board meetings.