[SAC] [Qgis-psc] Osgeo Code signing certificates

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 20 12:06:49 PDT 2016

On 04/20/2016 11:23 AM, Norman Vine wrote:

>> On Apr 20, 2016, at 2:13 PM, Alex M <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/20/2016 10:43 AM, Larry Shaffer wrote:
>>> Dear SAC,
>>>
>>> OK, just like last time I brought this up, this has devolved into more
>>> lovely Apple bashing.
>>>
>>> Who here can make a decision on whether any of the money already OK'd by
>>> the OSGeo for code-signing certificates can be used for an Apple Developer
>>> account for $99/year (for multiple certs)?
>>>
>>> If the OSGeo is unwilling to fund Apple Developer accounts, I will look
>>> into a crowd-funding campaign for the QGIS project to solve the problem.
>>> Unless, the QGIS project also does not wish to manage it; in which case I
>>> will pay for it myself and share the certificates/keys with William
>>> Kyngsburye.
>>>
>>> Larry Shaffer
>>> Dakota Cartography
>>> Black Hills, South Dakota
>>>

>> I'll reiterate, if QGIS and any other OSGeo projects feel this is
>> worthwhile then I support it as a necessary means to helping ensure
>> users. For me the only question is what other OSGeo projects feel this
>> is important? Obviously anything William Kyngsburye packages seems like
>> a candidate.
>>
>> I wouldn't mind an OSGeo crowd-funding campaign to keep this funded long
>> term. But really that cost is not outrageous.
>>
>> For me this question falls under the general principle that OSGeo is
>> here to support it's member projects. Yes there are limits to what we
>> can do, but this request seems reasonable. Does someone recall what the
>> Board said about it? If they approved then really we just need to work
>> on the technical details of how to implement, not debate implementation.
>> Any complaints should be addressed at future Board meetings.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>> __________________________________
>
> Here is the board announcement authorize up to $500 USD/annual for the SAC to obtain signing certificates
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2015-October/013445.html
>
> Norman

Ok so moving forward with the technical parts.

1. Larry please coordinate with the Treasurer Michael Smith, to pay for
the account.
2. Larry please create a wiki page linked to SAC describing the process,
contacts and any other important details.
3. Can someone make sure Larry is in the SAC shell group and get him
access to store the certs and generate csr on the Secure VM?

Larry should we create an organizational email address (alias or list)
to match this so that multiple admins can be in the know.

Only other question is how should we store the various authentication
components that might need to be shared. I've been pondering we need to
improve our current system.