[SAC] safe/good max msg size for mailinglists?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Dec 9 07:16:22 PST 2016

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 12:27 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 10:57:11AM +0100, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>
>> - is there a security/disk use problem if I would bring the size to.. say
>> 500K ? Still people have to be carefull...

In the GRASS GIS lists I have put less than 500k, just to avoid that
users post even uncompressed BMP screenshots around or uncompressed
log files.
In an excess case, the mail is kept in the moderator's queue and the
sender usually gets a "reject" with the explanation to compress stuff
or better host elsewhere.

> Personally I think images/attachments do not belong to mailing lists
> but should be rather uploaded somewhere accessible via an URL, or sent
> to individuals agreeing about receiving them as attachments.
>
> I don't see a security issue with that though, just annoyance for list
> subscribers and disk availability (I know it's short on some machines,
> not sure about the mailing lists one).

... archive on osgeo6:
Filesystem                  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/ogdata-mailman   50G   36G   15G  72% /var/lib/mailman

Markus