[SAC] Running an osgeo docker registry

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Jul 25 06:31:15 PDT 2016

I created an existing OSGeo DockerHub organization a while ago (there's a Proj.4 image there, but it isn't really used for anything other than testing and confirmation). Please contact me if you wish to manage or push new images to it.

> On Jul 25, 2016, at 6:12 AM, Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Sandro: valuable idea, thanks for bringing this up!  Items
> for consideration:
>
> - if we use Docker Hub are there any technical limitations (size, number
> of repos) that would justify us standing up our own?

None if they are all open.

> - if we use Docker Hub is there a backout strategy if there are technical
> or non technical reasons to do so?

We just run our own repository if we need to leave DH.

> Given our limited and precious reosurces I would advocate for using Docker
> Hub with an OSGeo organization setup and have an internal setup for
> protected/sensitive/OSGeo Dockerfile's where required.

Me too, especially considering that every docker install will seamlessly consume images from DockerHub, and private repos require adding certificates -- which users can easily goof up.