[SAC] SSL Certificate Followup

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon May 2 08:47:28 PDT 2016

On 05/02/2016 11:16 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 09:57:48AM -0400, Alex M wrote:

>>> Am I reading it correctly that https://wikipedia.org
>>> and https://fsf.org are also using a DV cert ?
>>>
>>> My browser reports (upon asking for more information):
>>>
>>> "This website does not supply ownership information."
>
>> It's not the Ownership info, it's the Organization (O) line, right after
>> the common name. That's the only difference I've found.
>
> My current browser (Iceweasel 38.7.0) doesn't show an Organization
> line for the SSL certificate. The only difference I see between
> the (say) paypal or wikipedia account is the "ownership information".
>
>> I'll also note, it's harder to hijack the account, since even when
>> logging in you basically can't do anything on Comodo (our old cert) and
>> I've been going back and forth with them about updating the contact
>> email address, which requires emailing from the current account to a
>> specific address on their side requesting the change.
>>
>> Since we don't do an $ transactions, I can't really say if it's worth it
>> or not.
>
> I guess it depends on priorities and funds availability.
> I'd like to see the disk space fixed, for example, and newer
> machines to host newer services.

This decision in no way impacts our ability to buy a new machine (next
year, we just bought one last year). As for disk space, we actually have
the space, just a technical thing that we need to allocate more where
it's needed.

We're also talking about ~$500 difference, but 2 additional years.
It would however incur a time cost, of dealing with the refund,
purchase, and installation of another cert.