[SAC] [MOTION] Grant me 50 hours of sysadmin work

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Tue May 24 06:45:33 PDT 2016

> On May 24, 2016, at 5:50 AM, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
>
> Moreover I've been advocating *against* paid sysadmin work at OSGeo for
> most of the time, thus by billing my own time I'm not going to gain
> much credibility  ;-)

Martin,

I admit my unease with paid OSGeo sysadmin work too, especially set against significant contributions that folks like yourself specifically have made. Even so, it's something we can try. If it doesn't work out, or we don't get much for it, we can always go back to what we were doing before.

The paid admin should not be self-directed, at least in terms of major projects undertaken. Sandro shouldn't take payment for building out new infrastructure (and incurring more SAC maintenance debt) that specifically benefits his project participation or achieves his political objectives (he may have a few ;). I don't think this should be a problem, and I would suggest that the committee designate someone to act as the paid admin's "manager" insofar as directing which specific efforts should be done with the resources. It would be Sandro's responsibility to keep the committee informed of the activities underway and successes achieved. The approach will prevent Sandro from having to go ask a bunch of people on the internet to make a decision on stuff they may or may not understand. You would make an excellent candidate for this if you have a few cycles to spare to do it.

My $0.02 anyway...

Howard