[SAC] [OSGeo] #1693: Slow DNS lookups on tracsvn

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri May 27 03:56:43 PDT 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 10:36:28AM +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> Ok, after getting errors twice while responding to the ticket, I chose
> to respond here:
>
> > #1693: Slow DNS lookups on tracsvn
> > ---------------------------+--------------------------
> >  Reporter:  strk           |      Owner:  sac@???
> >      Type:  task           |     Status:  new
> > Component:  Systems Admin  |   Keywords:  tracsvn, dns
> > ---------------------------+--------------------------
> [...]
> >  This tells me there's an issue with the DNS resolution.
> >  I don't know which other services do use DNS lookups, but if any
> >  production service does it too (beside Gogs which is only experimental)
> >  we'd better install a local caching server, like dnsmasq (or, as I've been
> >  suggested, "unbound").
>
> Hi Sandro, did you already switch Gogs over to using libc-based name resolution, as suggested ?

I tried that locally and did not have a big speedup.
It was something like from 400ms to 330ms (locally).

> BTW, Trac error upon submission is:
>
>  Trac detected an internal error:
>
> IndexError: list index out of range

I've filed https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1694 for this.
You were considered a spammer.
Now I granted you SPAM_TRAIN so you should be able to see the
monitoring page: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/admin/spamfilter/monitor
(now clean as I did it).

Not sure as a spam-trainer you would ever be considered spammer again