[SAC] [Hosting] IPv6: Request Deployment Feedback

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Tue Oct 11 15:48:13 PDT 2016

All,

We're finally having time to work on IPv6 at the OSL. Before we start
deploying it, I wanted to get some feedback from all of you and give you a
brief summary on how we're planning on deploying it.

1. We're planning on doing static IPv6 assignments for now. We may
implement either DHCPv6 or SLACC later, but for now that isn't feasible for
us currently. *If this is a problem, please let me know.*

2. We're assigning larger customers a /56 reservation and assigning /64's
inside of those for the actual subnets. This gives us 256 /56's and each
/56 have 256 /64's. *If you need something larger than that, please let me
know.*

3. Each current vlan/subnet is going to have it's own /64 assigned to it.​
I'm working on how we're actually going to reserve it and will work with
each project on that reservation.

4. We won't have forward IPv6 DNS working initially for anything under our
domains, but we are working on migrating to a newer system that uses Bind
within the next 3-6 months. We are looking at ways for us to at least offer
reverse IPv6 DNS.

5. Once we have the /56 delegations assigned, we're going to enable IPv6 on
OSL internal VLANs first to do testing. After that, we will work with the
larger customers to enable it on their subnets. At some point, we'll start
enabling it on our General servers VLANs.

If you have any questions or concerns about our IPv6 deployment plan,
please let me know directly.

And thank you for your patience. I realize this has been an ongoing thing
for many years.

Cheers-

--
Lance Albertson