[SAC] replacing IRC with gitter

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Thu Sep 1 00:59:02 PDT 2016

Hi,

On 31/08/2016 22:17, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Last week the board decided to try some new technologies that members
> have used on other projects.
>
> - To replace email voting --> Loomio (Anita has already set
> up https://www.loomio.org/g/kdSmIwxu/osgeo-board )
> - To replace IRC ---> gitter (like slack but more integrated with github)

I do not want to play my old-fashioned guy, but replacing standard
technologies with proprietary protocols and tools, which each require
its own authentication and login, does not really seem to be very
logical wrt OSGeo's goals.

Gitter/Slack is especially worst, as it is closed protocol with
proprietary software.. Do we really want to be dependent on this kind of
tool ?
As a not-that-worst alternative as sandro said, mattermost can replace
slack. Note that it can also be integrated fully into gitlab, and the
latest versions seem to have a IRC bridge.

Vincent