[SAC] replacing IRC with gitter

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Sep 1 01:15:12 PDT 2016

Hi Vincent,

On Thu, 01. Sep 2016 at 09:59:02 +0200, Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote:
> Gitter/Slack is especially worst, as it is closed protocol with
> proprietary software.. Do we really want to be dependent on this kind of
> tool ?
> As a not-that-worst alternative as sandro said, mattermost can replace
> slack. Note that it can also be integrated fully into gitlab, and the
> latest versions seem to have a IRC bridge.

Gitter and Slack also have IRC servers.

But it's also the fragmentation that does harm.  Some people stay on the
(FreeNode) IRC channels and some move to Gitter and/or Slack, some join both.

#qgis on FreeNode used to be very lively, which changed when gitter was
introduced - and my impression is that there is now less activity overall.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode