[SAC] replacing IRC with gitter

Björn Harrtell bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 12:59:53 PDT 2016

>> On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 12:51:50PM +0200, Björn Harrtell wrote:
>>
>> > While I also feel that the open core can be hard to swallow I noted
>> that if
>> > Mattermost is used with GitLab CE it will work with the LDAP
>> integration:
>> >
>> > https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-mattermost
>>
>> Interesting. It looks like Drone, which basically delegates
>> authentication to the "git hoster" (I did setup one for the OSGeo Gogs).
>>
>> Are you up to add gitlab-mattermost to the experimental GitLab
>> service ? Ideally with an IRC bridge to existing IRC channels ?
>>

> Yes, it is something I'm interested to know more about so I will take a
> shot at it when time permits.

I've investigated the requirements to enable Mattermost on the GitLab
installation. It seems it requires a separate virtual host and expects to
be accessible at the root path on that host. It's probably possible to get
around this but would require more knowledge about ngnix than I currently
have and will result in a customized installation that may not be
upgradable.

The officially supported IRC bridge (matterbridge) does seem promising and
well received by the community.