[SAC] Wiki Spammer - even more elaborate fake user

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sat Sep 3 17:05:00 PDT 2016

Hi SAC -

  a quick look shows a real Harry Wood, who is quite involved withOSM
and OSM Wiki..
SO perhaps Sandro is right .. I dont know what to do.. the wiki is
valuable to OSGeo.org.

  In the past it was enough to check for spam and then put that fake
user out..
This occurrance ranks as a new level of complexity in an attack..

  Years ago, before Christian W. started, I was awarded a star of Spam
Blocker for my wiki tending efforts.
Now, I dont know how to react to this.. the spammers are certainly winning,
they are paid pennies for this ? and yet they foil diligent defense.

  --Brian M Hamlin

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 18:18:52 0200, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:

On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 06:13:28PM 0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 08:58:22AM -0700, Brian M Hamlin wrote:

> > User:Harry Wood

> >   blocked indefinitely for spam
>
> Did you try sending him an email ? Maybe his account was compromised ?

Looking at Wiki changes it actually seems to me that Harry has been
very active at _catching_ spam and marking it as such.
What am I missing ?